New Zealands Great Outdoors, experiences & Adventures
Where to start. New Zealand was created for everyone to be outdoors. It offers so many things to experience in a relatively small space that you will need us to help you choose the best ones for you.
The list could be endless so lets look at the top experiences and adventures that you could look forward to when you book your holiday to New Zealand with us.
For those that love the great outdoors, putting your feet to great use there is no place on earth that offers more stunning walking trails in both the North and South Islands. In the North, try the one day Tongariro Crossing for fabulous mountain views and sparse lake landscapes. In the South Island there are 2 treks where you can have your bags dropped off each day at your accommodation, making light work of trekking, those being the Classic routes of the Queen Charlotte and Abel Tasman Tracks, both approx. 3-5 day hikes. Further south are the famous Routeburn and Milford Tracks. All of these offer spectacular scenery and we wish you could hike all of them.
Water based experiences
New Zealand is blessed with so many stunning lakes, rivers and fiords, all of them offering opportunities galore and more. Nowhere else can you jetboat through the narrow channels of the Shotover River or skim the surface on the aqua blue Haast River.
A day or even better, an overnight cruise, on the majestic Milford or Doubtful Sound must be on everyone’s itinerary. We love both of these beautiful areas.
Whale watching in Kaikoura, Dolphin spotting in the Bay of Islands or on the tranquil Marlborough Sounds are all easily accessible and really good fun, the perfect family activity too. And nothing can beat kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park. There are fabulous boat trips in Queenstown and Wanaka, one of our favourites being the trip in Wanaka to Mou Waho Island. Chris, our programme Director hasn’t stopped talking about this. For a not so scary white water experience, New Zealand has good day trips suitable for all ages and great fun.
Land based experiences
There are some great activities in and around Rotorua, mad things like Zorbing down a mountain but we love the Redwoods Treewalk. Queenstown is the home to activities and the famous bungy jumps await, in several locations now, Check out the Skippers Canyon Bungy Jump – not for the faint hearted. Gokarting down hill and fabulous mountain bike trails are all on your doorstep too. Its go go go in Queenstown.
And of course there is the wine, there are an abundance of Vineyards dotted all over New Zealand where you can wander through the vines, take a day guided tour visiting several ‘tasting’ spots or even cycle along the quiet roads stopping off for a sample as and when you choose.
Ready to start planning your adventure?
We hope we have whet your appetitie with these great experiences of New Zealand. Our specialists know exactly what tailor made itinerary will suit you and we would love to talk to you about your plans and ideas.
Travel Inspiration Travel Guides
- Luxury lodge and experiences along the way
- New Zealands Great Outdoors, experiences & Adventures
- Our Introduction to New Zealand
- Our recommended iconic must-see's of New Zealand
- Planning for an incredible New Zealand adventure
- Tailor-make the ultimate New Zealand holiday experience
- Stopover options for travelling to New Zealand
- New Zealand holiday options: From self-drive, motorhome camping to escorted tours
- Exploring New Zealand's North Island regions
- Exploring New Zealand's South Island regions
- The most swoonworthy stays in New Zealand
- When is the best time to travel to New Zealand?
- Popular experiences to enjoy on your holiday in New Zealand
- Top 10 most photogenic wonders in New Zealand
- Exploring New Zealand's Maori culture
- From north to south - an unexpected journey in New Zealand
- A beginner’s guide to self-drive holidays in New Zealand
- Discover the best of the North Island
- Discover the best of the South Island
- Escorted Touring around New Zealand
- Head out on one of these day trips from Auckland
- Head out on one of these day trips from Christchurch
- Self-Drive the best of New Zealand
- Top 10 things to do in Christchurch
- Discover New Zealand’s magnificent wonders & wildlife
- Head out on one of these day trips from Queenstown
- Head out on one of these day trips from Wellington
- Getting around Queenstown and where to stay