Luxury lodge and experiences along the way
We have hand picked what we think are the best luxury lodges for you, during your holiday in New Zealand. There are a lot of options and each lodge is different. At New Zealand Sky we like lodges that are super friendly, in brilliant locations and have that wow factor. We have also been careful to choose those where there are things to do, enhancing your experiences and sense of adventure. We have stayed in all of them (a plus of working here).
Whilst all our chosen Lodges offer great value, they are more expensive than the hotels and motels that are usually used. However, we actively encourage you to try and stay a few nights at least, in a lodge, during your holiday. Why not mix your type of accommodation up? For a special occasion, treat yourself with a 2-3-night stay in a gorgeous lodge.
We also offer complete luxury New Zealand itineraries, hand selecting the right lodges just for you and what you are looking for in your holiday. We can transport you by helicopter to any of the lodges and arrange any special requests you may have throughout your trip.
Here is a selection of our favourite lodges in New Zealand:
On Waiheke Island – a mere 35 mins by ferry to Auckland. The Boatshed is your idyllic start to any New Zealand holiday offering fabulous accommodation, beaches and a super mix of restaurants, coastal walks and vineyards. And the owners are truly amazing. We Stay here instead of Auckland – you will not want to leave.
A New Zealand Sky must stay (if you can) lodge. Our programme director, Chris, fell in love with Solitaire Lodge for its warm welcome, outstanding food and stunning views over Lake Tarawera.
For more information: Solitare Lodge
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers
Not only a beautiful Lodge with sweeping views of the Pacific but there is so much to do and experience in and around the Lodge vicinity, including wine tours, river kayaking and rafting and playing on their immaculate golf course.
For more information: The Farm at Cape Kidnappers
Wharekauhau Country Estate
The perfect conclusion to your North Island experience, located close to Wellington but in the heart of one of the most spectacular farms in the world. Head to the famous Martinborough wine region home to 35 local and friendly boutique wineries or head out to Cape Palliser to see the huge sela colony. On the farm are quad bikes, archery, tennis and a gorgeous pool.
Bay of Many Coves
One of our very favourites, and certainly uniquely located on the Marlborough Sounds, access only by boat from Picton, the resort offers incredible food, private balconies with Bay views and so many activities in the surrounding area you could happily stay a week. This is the perfect ‘treat’ stay if you choose just one lodge in your trip.
For more information: Bay of Many Coves
One of the newest Luxury Lodge additions only opened in November 2018 and is the perfect stop after your Mount Cook visit. Located in the Ahuriri Valley and on one of the worlds top fly fishing rivers, this spectacular lodge is a haven for hiking, horse riding, e biking and gliding. Book early as it is very popular.
Hapuku Lodge & Treehouses
Unique and one of our top places to stay, this luxury Eco-retreat has fabulously appointed tree houses, 30 feet in the air, underneath the majestic Kaikoura Mountains. The location is simply wonderful. This is also a great base to explore the marine life in and around Kaikoura, as well as being the central Maori cultural point in the South Island.
For more information: Hapuku Lodge & Treehouses
Another New Zealand Sky favourite, just a short hop from Queenstown and all the activities it has to offer, Matakauri Lodge offers peace and tranquillity in an enviable setting on Lake Wakatipu overlooking the towering Remarkable Mountains and Cecil’s Peak.
For more information: Matakauri Lodge
Throw in that this incredible Lodge is in the World Heritage Fiordland National Park, you really couldn’t be more privileged. A very laid back, high quality Lodge with fabulous service, we recommend at least 3 nights here to take advantage of the activities and experiences in the vicinity. Hiking galore, fly fishing and scenic excursions to the famous Milford and/or Doubtful Sounds.
For more information: Fiordland Lodge
Talk to our New Zealand experts:
We hope we have inspired you to treat yourself to a stay in a luxury lodge for a truly unique experience. Call our experts today to choose your perfect lodge.
Travel Inspiration Travel Guides
- Luxury lodge and experiences along the way
- New Zealands Great Outdoors, experiences & Adventures
- Our Introduction to New Zealand
- Our recommended iconic must-see's of New Zealand
- Planning for an incredible New Zealand adventure
- Tailor-make the ultimate New Zealand holiday experience
- Stopover options for travelling to New Zealand
- New Zealand holiday options: From self-drive, motorhome camping to escorted tours
- Exploring New Zealand's North Island regions
- Exploring New Zealand's South Island regions
- The most swoonworthy stays in New Zealand
- When is the best time to travel to New Zealand?
- Popular experiences to enjoy on your holiday in New Zealand
- Top 10 most photogenic wonders in New Zealand
- Exploring New Zealand's Maori culture
- From north to south - an unexpected journey in New Zealand
- A beginner’s guide to self-drive holidays in New Zealand
- Discover the best of the North Island
- Discover the best of the South Island
- Escorted Touring around New Zealand
- Head out on one of these day trips from Auckland
- Head out on one of these day trips from Christchurch
- Self-Drive the best of New Zealand
- Top 10 things to do in Christchurch
- Discover New Zealand’s magnificent wonders & wildlife
- Head out on one of these day trips from Queenstown
- Head out on one of these day trips from Wellington
- Getting around Queenstown and where to stay