Current Travel Advice for Customers. Click here
Nelson & Abel Tasman holidays - Beautiful, charming and sun-dappled
Nelson is a trendy seaside town in the north of the South Island, functioning as a gateway to the beautiful Abel Tasman National Park. Sitting on the northern coast of the South Island, Nelson regularly claims the crown of New Zealand’s sunniest city often notching up more than 2,500 sunshine hours a year. The fine weather seems to have inspired a sunny disposition of the locals, who’ve crafted a trendy, friendly city brimming with hip hangouts and galleries.
Enjoy cool and collected Nelson alongside wild and beautiful Abel Tasman
The Victorian architecture blends well with the chic selection of cafés, art galleries, museums and bars, but much of the lasting appeal of Nelson is its proximity to some of New Zealand’s most enjoyable natural beauty spots.
It’s easy travelling distance from the aquatic playground of the Marlborough Sounds and even closer you’ll find the idyllic Abel Tasman which is New Zealand’s most visited national park.
Abel Tasman National Park brings to life the fantasy vision of New Zealand; untouched natural beauty alive with a symphony of avian life – this is a true paradise for hikers and bird-watchers. You won’t find a restaurant or shop anywhere in the park but you will find astounding diversity and vistas to take your breath away.
Why visit Nelson?
- Explore the museums and art galleries of this rather trendy town
- There are more than 20 wineries in the surrounding area and fans of New World wines should definitely tour one or two
- This is one of New Zealand’s sunniest places – make the most of it with walks into the countryside
- Head to Abel Tasman National Park for unspoiled beauty and impressive bird-watching opportunities
- See the seals and enjoy the aquatic beauty at the coastline of the park – you can visit a colony living on Tonga Island