Five of the best things to do in New Zealand
New Zealand is such a scenically beautiful country, you’ll find everything from mirror lakes, thundering waterfalls, lush vineyards and sublime sandy beaches to active volcanos, bubbling hot springs, haunting glaciers and the towering icy peaks of the Southern Alps. A self-drive around the country covering both of the stunning islands – whether you’ve got two weeks or two months – is one of the best and most flexible ways to see everything it has to offer.
Here’s five of the best things to do in New Zealand while on a self-drive trip.
Holidays to New Zealand are often trips of a lifetime so we highly recommend splashing out and upgrading a couple of nights of your stay to one of the many Luxury Lodges that are available. The Matakauri Lodge in Queenstown is one of our favourites.
Take in the to-die-for views on the drive over the Alpine Pass and Crown Range Mountains towards Wanaka, a buzzing lake front town with a cool vibe and plenty of restaurants and bars.
Spend a couple of nights in the Blenheim wine region visiting some of the world famous vineyards. Do a wine tour, enjoy lunch at one of the many estates and stay in one of the boutique B&Bs available here.
Trek the famous Queen Charlotte Track which follows the amazing scenery between Queen Charlotte Sound and Kenepuru Sound in the Marlborough Sounds.
Visit the geothermal pools and beautiful lake at Rotorua, but for a real peaceful getaway, stay outside of the town closer to many of the other smaller lakes such as Okareka.
Self Drive Tours Travel Guides
- Road tripping New Zealand's North Island
- Road tripping New Zealand's South Island
- Five of the best things to do in New Zealand
- Top 10 national parks in New Zealand
- New Zealand holiday options: From self-drive, motorhome camping to escorted tours
- Exploring New Zealand's North Island regions
- Exploring New Zealand's South Island regions
- When is the best time to travel to New Zealand?
- From north to south - an unexpected journey in New Zealand